Features

Gold and Bold: Christmas Makeup

Christmas is just around the corner (two more sleeps!) so I thought I would share my take on a festive makeup look. I've dubbed it 'Gold and Bold' for a reason- hello red lip and gold eyes! So here's the look...



Base: Since I want the makeup I've slapped on to last all day (and night) it's especially important to prime the face. I began with the Clinique Redness Solutions Daily Protective Base to even out my skin, reduce the appearance of redness and sandwich my makeup in. I find that Christmas time warrants a heavier base than my everyday light coverage, so I buffed a pump of NARS Sheer Glow Foundation in Mont Blanc all over. To minimise my unsightly bags, I dabbed some of my Bobbi Brown Corrector around the eye area and then finished up with the Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in Place Concealer in Light on top and over a few blemishes that poked through my foundation. To complete the complexion sandwich, I powdered with the Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Diffused Light

Cheeks: I decided to keep it very simple on the cheeks as my eyes and lips were going to be quite statement so I dusted some MAC Soft and Gentle Mineralise Skin Finish to add a healthy sheen to the tops of the cheekbones, under the brow bone and down my nose. I lightly contoured with the NYX Eyeshadow in Taupe- this gives a lovely naturally sculpted look to the face without being bronzed, and skipped blush as the summer heat leaves my face lightly flushed throughout the day.


Eyes: Gold eyeshadow isn't something that I reach for on a daily monthly basis but the silly season demands festive colours so on the gold goes. The gold part of 'Bold and Gold' consists of two products: the Maybelline Colour Tattoo in Bold Gold (a fitting name, am I right?) applied with my fingers as a crease-proof base with a good dusting of the gold shadow from my custom INGLOT palette (a full review here). I grabbed an angled liner brush and winged out my eyeliner to add depth to the look with my Bobbi Brown Long Wear Gel Eyeliner in Black Ink and dragged it across my lower lash line to smoke it up. I then gave my lashes a quick crimp and added a few coats of Benefit's They're Real Mascara; add false lashes as desired. No look is ever complete without my signature strong brow so I filled them in with an eyebrow pencil from Essence. Moving onto lips...


Lips: With the festive season in full swing, a bold lip is an essential for me. However, I find that most bold lips- burgundies, plums, and deep reds- can look a little out of place in the Australian summer. Twisting the traditional red lip, I opted for a warm-toned red lip from NYX in the shade Pure Red. I adore this lipstick- it's matte but not drying, it doesn't smear, get patchy with more coats, bleed, and the staying power is darn good for less than ten bucks. Winner, winner, chicken dinner! I find that I don't need a lip liner with it either as it applies nicely to the lips so it's fast becoming one of my favourite lip products. I also find this shade rocks when I'm more tanned so I'll be breaking this one out whenever I fake bake or after my trip to Singapore in January. 


Swatches: INGLOT eyeshadow, Maybelline Colour Tattoo in Bold Gold, NYX lipstick in Pure Red

So that's my Christmas party face down pat, now to go stuff myself with a Christmas ham, our annual Christmas cookies, and roast chicken- yuuuuummmmm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment