Features

Summer Essentials: Part I




Introducing part one of the two-part mini series where I dive headfirst into my summer essentials. The first week of a long awaited summer did not disappoint: the mercury is on the rise, the drinks are getting cooler, and the smell of summer is in the air. So, I'm dusting off the bright colours, bronzes, and beach-babe quick fixes, ready to take a firm hold in my regime for the next three months. I bring you the makeup, nail, and hair portion of the summer edit...

Dew it up
To me, summer is the time to ditch the heavy matte finishes- it's all about the dewy look. For my base, I absolutely adore the NARS Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturiser as it gives a beautiful dewy (not oily!) finish to the skin but still offers enough coverage to cancel out most redness and blemishes. The texture of this is light and extremely smooth and it does not feel heavy on the face. This is definitely my go to base product during the warmer months. 

If I want to ramp up the glow just that extra little bit, more I spritz lavender water lightly over my face to simultaneously refresh my makeup and amp up the dewiness. I really like this product on hot days and I use it as a way to beat the heat. The cool mist is lovely and refreshing- and it smells darn good too!

A glossy lip is also gorgeous during the summer, and Clarins does not disappoint. Their Instant Light Natural Lip Perfector in the shade 01 Rose Simmer (note: there is no shimmer in the gloss) is a beautiful lip gloss- no sticky formula in sight, just a creamy and moisturising gloss. The shade adds next to no colour to the lips, but just glides over any imperfections. And smelling like cupcakes, it's an instant winner.

Bring on the bronze
There is no better time to add some extra bronze to your face to get that sun-kissed glow. I love to swirl a big fluffy brush in NARS Laguna bronzer and dust over my temples, cheekbones, and jawline to add some warmth and colour to my skin. This shade doesn't appear orange or muddy on my fair skin- a God send- and the powder is quite finely milled. Laguna also looks great with a tan and adds a little somethin'-somethin' to your look instantly. 

Another place that I enjoy a bit of a bronze sheen is the lids. In summer, I love sporting a bronze shadow to off set my bronzed-up face, and I find that cream shadows work especially well as they are no-fuss and crease-proof for hot days. I adore the Estee Lauder Pure Colour Stay-On Shadow Paint in the shade Chained. The mousse-like texture of this little pot of bronze is easy to apply and does not crease on my oily lids. This colour is gorgeous on its own, or can be layered with other shadows for a more intense shimmer or to add dimension to the crease. 

Sunglass-Inducing Brights
Bright colours are perfect for the summertime, and there's nothing better than rocking a bright sunglass-inducing colour on the nails. I love to rock a warm-toned hue on my tips during the summer. Essence polishes are one of my favourite formulas (the wide square tip of the brush makes application so easy) and they have a great colour range for summer. Two of my favourites are Off To Miami!, a gorgeous muted coral, and Flashy Pumpkin, a true bright orange. These shades work equally good on the fingers and toes, and for less than $3 a pop, they are worth investing in- I have seven shhhh...

I also love a bright lip, and the Bourjois Colour Boost Lip Crayon in Orange Punch gives a hint of summer on my pout with it's subtle orange glossy finish. I have a post on my favourite Lip Crayons and this one features along with its sister, Peach on the Beach (post here). This is one I reach for quite a lot and it's perfect to throw in your handbag. Easy.

Beach Bum
To top the casual summer look, I like to give the air of spending the day at the beach. The windswept textured look of beach hair is bottled in David Babaii's Boho Beach Spray which gives texture, hold, look that comes from lounging on the sand and diving under waves all day. Love this stuff.

And of course add your favourite eye-catching swimsuit; my pick of the moment is from the famed Black Milk Clothing (now unfortunately unavailable, however, they often rerelease styles so keep an eye out for that). Donned in a map of the world, I will be sipping a cold glass of lemonade by the pool dreaming of pacific island getaways...

Catch more on Friday for part two where I will be talking body and non-beauty essentials. What is your must-have beauty essential for summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment